We are glad no one was hurt and hope they can someday rebuild. (Courtesy photo by William French). Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant in Wikieup - Restaurant menu and I hear its going to be named Beyers Byway Comet 2021. Im flattered, Donnie, really. Witness Savannah Cox said Wikieup residents are thankful that no one was injured and that fuel tanks at the business did not explode. Love you Teresa and the rest of the wonderful crew and am so thankful nobody was hurt. Crews from several agencies responded quickly to battle the blaze, including the U.S. Forest Service, BLM, Oregon Department of Forestry, Crook County Fire and Rescue and the Post-Paulina Rural Fire Protection Association. Fire destroys Wikieup Trading Post - Thank you, firefighters. Wikieup, Arizona, the Trading Post Market, off U.S. Hyw 93. POST, Ore. (KTVZ) Two recreation homes and a cabin were lost and about a half-dozen outbuildings were destroyed by a wildfire that broke out west of Post in Crook County late Saturday afternoon, prompting evacuations and burning about 100 acres, officials said. Laureen had a 21-ounce steak, half a dozen eggs and a side of biscuits. Find, rate and share the best memes and images. Were like that here.. That sucks. POTUS landmarks, oddities. The Wikieup Trading Post burnt to the ground on Sunday, May 23, 2021. Eighty-five percent of these refugees have relocated to the countries of the: Global South. You will pay attractive prices for dishes. The scenery makes the time pass quickly between Wickenburg and Wikieup and before you know it, you're passing the Wikieup Trading Post. Attraction status, hours and prices change without notice; call ahead! $$ - $$$ American Cafe Vegetarian Friendly. Officials with the Arizona. Wikieup Trading Post burnt to bits - The Standard Newspaper Wikieup, AZ - Fake Jail Cell Photo Op (Gone) The last remaining trailer finally crumpled and looks like a pile of rubbish. Wikieup Trading Post Restaurant - CLOSED Unclaimed Review Save Share 9 reviews Mexican International 18040 S Highway 93, Wikieup, AZ 85360 +1 928-765-2241 Website See all (15) 9 There aren't enough food, service, value or atmosphere ratings for Wikieup Trading Post Restaurant, Arizona yet. On the northern outskirts of town, there once was a historical marker for the Big Sandy Valley, where Wikieup is located, which read: First exploration probably by early Spanish explorers, Espejo in 1582 and Farfan in 1589. Email me for permission. One of the places I like to stop at was the trading post. , John B. Geez that is totally destroyed. Sadly, on this last visit, we were shocked to see that the entire trading post had burned down taking all the fabulous stuff with it. Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. Wikieup, Arizona, the Trading Post Market, off U.S. Hyw 93. Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road. "In fact, two days ago the Wikieup Trading Post burned down, and the whole town showed up to help fight the fire. We sure are glad no one was hurt and we hope you rebuild. Officials were walking around, taking photographs and measurements. 4:00 am, We were driving back from visiting the Grand Canyon West and were planning a stop at the Trading post again. 12. Can you please me some pictures of the Hopi(?) Love that place it will be very missed. Robert was correct. With increasingly hot temperatures the safety of firefighters working on the fire line will remain a priority, officials said. Firefighters worked from the air and on the ground Sunday to cool any hot spots and deal with interior tree torching on the Wickiup Road Fire, north of state Highway 380 (the Paulina Highway) and five miles west of Post. In fact, two days ago the Wikieup Trading Post burned down, and the whole town showed up to help fight the fire. I had a bowl of oatmeal with raisins. Just stop and look around. A Level 2 (Be Set) evacuation advisory, to be ready to leave at moments notice, was issued Saturday afternoon for homes along Southeast Riverside Lane in the Riverside Ranch 1 subdivision, county Public Information Officer Vicky Ryan said. Contents of this site are Copyright 2023 Kingman Miner and Western News&Info, Inc. All rights reserved. "The fire did burn up to several homes, and in fact did burn several -- not primary residences, but we did lose three main structures, as well as about six outbuildings, like pump houses, sheds and a detached garage, and several vehicles.". You do that every time we drive through here.. Thank you. BLM spokeswoman Lisa Clark said there were no injuries. Stamp mills were at Greenwood, 8 miles southwest and at Virginia City, 9 miles southwest. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. This was at the Hard Rock outside and it was hot AF. We see all sorts of wildlife, Robert said. I think I got one, Edwin Hubble exclaimed. pic.twitter.com/ESGn63wDFM. For those of you who don't know, it burned down 5/24/2021. And the stars at night can take a persons breath away. How many have the professionals discovered from their Arizona backyards? As we went there through the years, we watched two trailers disappear without a trace. One that is told is about the mummy found in the desert near Gila Bend nicknamed Sylvester. Laureen and I had stopped there numerous times in the past. A guy who spends his nights staring into space was probably asleep. Small Group Desert Wine, Distillery Tastings, Route 66 with Lunch, Oatman Western Mining Village/Museums & Scenic RT66 Experience Small Grp, Grand Canyon West/Skywalk/Old Western Ranch/Joshua Tree Forest Small Grp Tour, Horseback Riding, Joshua Tree Forest/Buffalo and Lunch/Singing Cowboy Tour, Machine Gun Shooting Experience Major Package, Grand Canyon West Helicopter Tour with Boat Ride and Optional Meal, Private Off Road Adventure Tours in the Prescott National Forest, 2 Hour E bike Ride at The Peavine Trail (Popular), Machine Gun Shooting Experience General Package, Machine Gun Shooting Experience Lieutenant Package, Lake Havasu City Airport One Way Transfer, Self-Drive 1-Day Grand Canyon Whitewater Rafting Tour. Tradingpost - Wikieup May 24, 2021 @ All the basic stuff in a convenience store and a few things unique to the area. Business News, Community News Resident Savannah Cox disagrees with that purported number, though. Laureen and I had. So sorry for their loss. You must have written permission to publish or reproduce any of my photos. Some tips may not be verified. Aerial resources were grounded due to high winds and safety concerns Sunday afternoon. We ended up finding some items to take home and took lots of pictures. Be one of the first to write a review! Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. More, National Cryptologic Museum, Annapolis Junction, Maryland (Feb 27-Mar 5, 2023). I recently stopped in Wikieup for lunch. We loved the deep dish cherry pie and I have many dream catchers in my home that came from the trading post. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. This saddens us so. Found it burned to the ground. White puffy clouds float effortlessly across the skies. Joshua Tree Heaven you might say. This place scored 4.2 in the Google rating system. extras. Map and Plan Your Own Roadside Adventure Try My Sights, Roadside America app for iPhone, iPad. Sunny and cool Friday becoming gradually warmer daily into the weekend and beyond. As of 11.27.21: Sadly, looks like they had a fire. Thank heaven no one was hurt, yet the loss is still painful. Were a close-knit group, she said. Write a Review No gas or any business operating on site. I hope no one was injured. This place has great cheesy attraction all over it! Wayne, along with Ken Reafsnyder and Louis Johnson, his business partners, kept the ranch until John Waynes death in 1979 from lung and stomach cancer. It was a wonderful place for walking and relaxing in the afternoon sun. In 1964 the ranch became the 26 Bar Ranch or John Waynes Ranch, who was one of the owners. Many believe that he once was a 19th century cowboy, a con that loved to play cards. May 24, 2021 @ 8:08 pm. An hour, a day, a night, no matter. There is a gas station with it also. Erratic winds cause growth on Committee Fire near Sedona, Wikieup fire View our Current Membership Thank You Gifts, KNAU News Talk - Arizona Public Radio | street vendor. This is your typical touristy restaurant/general store/gift shop on the road from Phoenix to Kingman, AZ or Las Vegas and it's a perfect location for a bathroom stop. Use our attraction recommendation and maps to plan your next road trip. Just remembered a Vegas story. Thank God no one was hurt! Great vibes. (Courtesy photo by William French) By Travis Rains Originally Published: May 25, 2021 3:19 p.m. Tweet To view this content. Break up the monotony of driving by stopping at this historic roadside rest. We have been to this trailer park for 12 years now. Meanwhile, a fast-moving wildfire has forced the evacuation of about 20 people in the Mohave County community of Wikieup. Wow! On-route maps, 1,000s of photos, special research targets! Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number Elsewhere, a new fire late Sunday reportedly had burned 200-250 acres in the Ashwood-Antelope Rural Fire Protection Association area north of Madras. Just seeing this stretch of highway made our drive to Kingman worthwhile. Jessica Beyer's Byways: Wikieup, more than a fun word to say This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. Regardless, the research often surprises me. Big Sandy Fire: Wildfire that forced evacuations near Wikieup now 50% How sad. A Level 1 (Be Ready) pre-evacuation notice was issued along Southeast Wickiup Road. Saying Wikieup is like a mental exercise that forces the body to relax. +1.64 +1.82%. |. Photo | Kingman Daily Miner | Kingman, AZ Also sells hard liquor if you need to pick some up. My family has stopped there many times in road trips. Machholz has had 12 comets named after himself between 1978 to 2018. Unique destinations in the U.S. and Canada are our special obsession. :( We always stopped there on our way to Las Vegas or laughlin. Stopped there just last Friday on my way to Vegas. If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here. "Many of the residents were evacuated yesterday," Clark said. May 24, 2021 @ An abundance of plants graces nearly every square mile. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here. He probably found another while I have been writing this. The Wikieup Trading Post was destroyed by fire on Sunday, May 23. Perhaps we should call Machholz in Wikieup?, You just like saying Wikieup. The McCrackin Mine discovered by Jackson McCrackin and H.A. Most web address info is the PO Box. A friend had adviser us that the scenery, once you get off U.S. 60 and onto U.S. 93 North is spectacular. This apparently preserved his body resulting in the mummified form he was found in. BLM and Forest Service crews helped extinguish and mop up the blaze. Prices for soda and chips are on the high side and about what you'd expect being out on the road in a touristy area. Even picked up my wedding dress there from my tailor-who lived in LV (crazy times of Covid!). 11:49 pm, Frank Storms May 24, 2021 @ We'd like to repeat this drive for sure. Where will we take our bathroom break on the way to vegas?!? I walked around the campground, enjoying the scenery. Not sure if they are planning to rebuild, but hope they do. Chloride Jack Owen in 1874, lies 18 miles south. And it just so happens that he is the most successful visual comet discoverer around. 4:49 pm, Ive been going here since 1989. Navajo Nation Fire & Rescue firefighters from Tuba City, Twin Arrows and Shonto spent nearly 11 hours on-scene fighting the blaze. Two recreation homes, cabin lost; red flag warning prompts preparation, (Update: Monday morning containment number, evacuation levels dropped). Charles Schulz, creator of the Peanuts, spent a few years as a young boy in Needles. Unfortunately, it was a total loss." That was news to me. (We used to love stopping here.) According to Census data from 2016, there are about 190 people living in Wikieup. I stopped at the Burro Creek Campground, about 20 miles south of Wikieup, for a respite. Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant, Wikieup: See 76 unbiased reviews of Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant, rated 4 of 5 on Tripadvisor and ranked #3 of 5 restaurants in Wikieup. Man that's sad, I almost stopped there when I was driving through last week, Oh man. Everyone loved the restaurant and the owners. Or that Donald Machholz lives in Wikieup. I loved that place and hope they do rebuild it. I think this is the last time we will go there. It was huge and had lots of items to shop for. The history of the Trading Post and the area is on the back of the menu. A closure order has been issued for various roads and trails in the area, including Schnebly Hill Road and the Jacks Canyon National Forest System Trail. Intelligent Business Intermediate Coursebook [PDF] [6eefeglsfl00] This small Arizona town of Wikieup, has the true heart & spirit of an old western town & Indian Village. Following an active storm cycle things quiet down for Arizona through the extended forecast. Easy access to the Market with even easier access to the restrooms! WIKIEUP TRADING POST MARKET - 2022 What to Know BEFORE You Go There are 2 others shell and chevron across the road. Cofer Hot Springs 3 miles east.. As far as the eye can see are Joshua trees, creosote, saltbush and so many more I didnt have time to write them all down. The restaurant has very good food including home baked deep dish pies. Horned and non-horned lizards, and one wearing Gucci sunglasses scampered by my feet. The Committee Fire has so far burned more than 100 acres just east of Sedona on Munds Mountain. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. They will rebuild it, Savannah stated. Stories are told that he finally got caught cheating and was shot in the stomach. Hope to see you rebuild it. Wikieup is the typical pee stopping point in the way to Vegas. Improve this listing All photos (30) Top ways to experience nearby attractions Scenic Desert Wine/Distillery Tastings/RT66 Museums, Bistro/Lunch Small Grp Tour 29 Bus Tours Three of us drive to Vegas to see Tool. Rants and Raves | May 30, 2021 | Kingman Daily Miner | Kingman, AZ Probably some electrical problem. All Rights Reserved. All rights reserved. I think the number is higher than what is reported.. Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant is ranked 4.2 within the Google grading system. Fire destroys Wikieup Trading Post The Wikieup Trading Post in nearby Wikieup is no more after a destructive fire at approximately 10 p.m. Sunday, May 23 resulted in a total loss of the structure. Submit your own tip. 7:36 am. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Buenos Aires ZIP Code - Argentina Research revealed that he is an amateur astronomer. They must have traveled through this majestic landscape with their eyes closed, which is not a good thing to do while driving. They may be down for a moment, but they wont stay down for long. Sep 4, 2022 - Wikiup is small, the Trading Post Market impossible to miss. Dave Boggiano Crews continue working to reinforce fire lines and hold it in place. 2023 www.vvdailypress.com. When driving along Highway 93 in Mohave County, we always stop in the small town of Wikieup. Glad to hear no was hurt. Find something similiar nearby . Witness Savannah Cox said Wikieup residents are thankful that no one was injured and that fuel tanks at the business did not explode. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. June 20, 2021 @ Luchias Restaurant & Gifts General Average and Risk Management in Medieval and Early Modern Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant, Wikieup: See 76 unbiased reviews of Wikieup Trading Post and Restaurant, rated 4 of 5, and one of 4 Wikieup restaurants on Tripadvisor.